Photobucket
"We become what we want to be, by consistantly being what we want to become."

~Richard G. Scott

Friday, August 1, 2008

Celebrating the Pacific Pioneers

This last weekend our ward (in Oregon) celebrated Pioneer Day like I never have before. Instead of celebrating those who crossed the plains, we celebrated those in the Hawaiian Islands. The festivities started Friday night where they first readied a pig to be put into an Imu Pit. Which is where it would be cooked overnight and then eaten the next day. After the pig was in the ground and cooking, there was a program where a few people, including Jay, Ross' brother, spoke about the LDS missionaries who were sent to the islands in the 1950's.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
The next day at noon, everyone came back and had a wonderful feast of delicious pulled pork, rice, fruit, macaroni salad, and then some. Did I mention the pork tasted wonderful? After eating there were a bunch of different activities for people to do. There was a station to make POI BALLS, a native "tool" (?) that are used in their, Hawaiian dances. There was face painting, coloring, and even shaved ice.

Painted like a warrior...

Photobucket

This is Braden dancing with his Poi Balls...


Photobucket

I was asked to be a helper that day (hence the great bonnet), so I helped Sis. Bell make some Hawaiian Coconut Biscuits.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Grandma (also a helper) and Grandpa Jones

Photobucket



The day ended with Mariah and Brinlee performing some of the native dances they learned while living in Hawaii.

Poi Balls in ACTION!


Look at those hips shake!!!





The big finale!

We had such a blast! It was really great learning about the Hawaiin Culture.

3 comments:

GordonandChrissy said...

What a cool idea for Pioneer Day. I love it! Sounds like a super yummy meal, too. :)
So, you guys are leaving tomorrow? Have a safe trip home, and hopefully we can catch up sometime soon...I'm sure I'll make a trip to MO with the new little guy shortly after he comes.

GordonandChrissy said...

What a cool idea for Pioneer Day. I love it! Sounds like a super yummy meal, too. :)
So, you guys are leaving tomorrow? Have a safe trip home, and hopefully we can catch up sometime soon...I'm sure I'll make a trip to MO with the new little guy shortly after he comes.

GordonandChrissy said...

Haha, you got all excited that you had two comments ... well three now, huh? Nope, I'm just a dingleberry, sorry about that. :)