Photobucket
"We become what we want to be, by consistantly being what we want to become."

~Richard G. Scott

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Radiation and Isolation

Well I'm done with my radiation!

On Monday and Tuesday I went to the hospital to receive Thyrogin shots to boost any thyroid that was still in my body. I was pretty nervous on Monday because I had to go by myself, which no, isn't a big deal, but when I'm by myself I tend to build things up and my mind wanders and wonders. But the shot didn't end up being bad, just a regular shot in the bum. : ) Thankfully, my mom accompanied me on Tuesday when I also got to talk to, and ask the doctor any questions.

Wednesday was the day I took the pill. When I got to the hospital, they took me into a room where a big "hazard" sign was on the door. ...comforting. The nurse had me sit down and brought out a silver jar container, unscrewed the lid and dropped the pill in my hand without touching it. I took the pill, and left. That was it! I was told to have no contact with anyone and to go straight home. And so home I went, and stayed for the next 7 days.

I kept expecting and waiting for the sickness to start, to feel nauseous, for my stomach to hurt, or for my taste buds to go crazy (a usual side effect-things taste metallicy). But it never came! The most discomfort I felt, was from the greasy food I'd been craving that my mom had brought me. My body was used to fresh, healthy food, that I'd been eating for the past 2 weeks, so I had a few grumbles in my tum tum.

I was so blessed that week. All the prayers, and fasting that were said in my behalf were answered. Not a single side effect!

The hardest part of the whole situation was not being able to be mom. Yes, gratefully, my mom and dad live here and was able to take the kids for the week, but it still stressed me out. It's so hard not being able to see your kids for so long and not being able to care for them. But we all survived, including my mom which I think it ended up being the hardest on her than anyone. She definitely got a taste of my life. :) So grateful for her!

Not only did I survive, but I ended up enjoying myself quite a bit! Since I didn't get sick, I had a nice week of R&R. I couldn't leave my room and cook meals, so I was brought lunch (most days, by mi madre- again, SO grateful for her), and dinner by either the Relief Society (my church) or by Ross, or my mom. And what did I do all day every day do you ask, was I bored? NO! :) I mostly read, which I LOVE to do, a whole series called "The Hearts of the Children". The series is 5 books, all of them around 500 pages long. I was in heaven! And when I wanted a break from reading, I watched movies, or TV shows I'd taped. Honestly, I feel guilty for having such a relaxful week!